When you have a large and high-quality LCD screen that comes with the Mac then why you do not connect Xbox One or Xbox 360 Controller to Your Mac? to take advantage of it for such things as gaming or watching movies?
However, computer gaming on a Mac isn’t always that easy. Many of the games don’t have Mac support. Macs also tend to have less graphical power and moreover, figuring out how to connect your desired controller to your Mac can sometimes become a challenge.
- 1 Connect Xbox One or Xbox 360 to Mac
- 1.1 What is the Xbox?
- 1.2 How to Connect Xbox or Xbox 360 with Mac?
- 1.3 Turn on Internet Sharing
- 1.4 Get the DNS Server Address
- 1.5 Set the Network Settings
- 1.6 Connect Xbox with the latest Driver
- 1.7 If it still fails to be detected
- 1.8 Through OneCast
- 1.9 Recently Released OneCast
- 1.10 Conclusion
Connect Xbox One or Xbox 360 to Mac
But the good news is that if you want to connect your Xbox or Xbox 360 to your Mac for playing your games on the large screen, it can surely be done. While it may require some extra hardware, rest assured that if you follow instructions given below carefully, you can easily accomplish this task.
The good part is that you can use almost all of your controllers on a Mac, including an Xbox One controller.
So yes, you can indeed use an Xbox One controller or an Xbox 360 with a Mac. You might need a wired connection via a micro-USB cable. Yup, you can’t play wirelessly. You’ll also need to install both the Xbox 360 Controller drivers. And once you are done doing so, you can use your Xbox One controller or an Xbox 360 controller.
What is the Xbox?
Xbox is one of the leading gaming console brands developed and owned by Microsoft. The game console is capable of connecting to television and various other display media. Xbox provides an unmatched experience with realistic graphics for games. This pioneering online gaming service gave Microsoft an early foothold in the online gaming market segment and it has since stayed as a strong competitor against other gaming consoles.
The Xbox line of consoles includes Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
The Xbox console was the first of the series and was developer-friendly. It had the ability to easily port personal computer games. It came with an Ethernet port made for speedy online gaming and there were four controller ports for multiplayer gaming.
There was also a hard drive for saving games and game content, a DVD player and multi-signal audio/video connections for easy connection to display media and home theatre systems. The Xbox Console’s controller pad had analog sticks along with directional pads and six action buttons which made it look bulky when compared to other game controllers at the time.
Xbox 360 is similar to its predecessor but has a higher power when it comes to CPU, memory, and graphics. Xbox 360 made use of in-order execution in order to reduce the CPU size leading to a reduction in complexity and power demands. The motion-sensing peripheral Kinect was also introduced which allows the passionate gamers to play using physical motions rather than using the controllers.
Along with Xbox 360, Microsoft also introduced the non-subscription service called Xbox Live Free. Another welcome new feature that Xbox 360 introduced was to provide the capability of watching movies with the help of the Internet.
How to Connect Xbox or Xbox 360 with Mac?
Mac OS X Snow Leopard: Sharing your Internet connection
Your Mac needs to have an Internet connection and an AirPort Card installed and an Ethernet port. You can then share Mac’s Internet connection with your Xbox 360 console. The following section describes a step-by-step procedure of how to use your Mac instead of a router to connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live.
To connect your console to Xbox Live, you do not always need a router as you can connect your console to a Mac and share your Mac’s Internet connection.
Note: If you happened to have a wired or wireless router, you need to see Xbox 360 First-Time Connection Solution.
Turn on Internet Sharing
Step 1 – You need to connect a network cable and turn on Internet sharing
- Plug the network cable into the back of your Xbox 360 console.
- Then plug the other end of network the cable into an Ethernet port available on your Mac.
- On your Mac, you need to choose Apple and then click System Preferences followed by clicking on Sharing.
- Select the option of Internet Sharing.
- Now select the AirPort from the Share your connection list.
- Select Ethernet Adaptor (en2).
- Finally, the ‘Internet Sharing’ checkbox is to be selected.
Get the DNS Server Address
Step 2 – You need to get the DNS server address for your Mac. Here’s how it’s done:
- Choose Apple On your Mac and click System Preferences, and then click Network.
- Select the option Wi-Fi.
- Click on DNS, and then write down the list of numbers that are there under “DNS servers.”
- The DNS tab on the Network screen lists the IP addresses of connected DNS servers.
- Select OK.
- Click on Ethernet.
- TCP/IP, and then set Configure IPv4 to Off.
- Click on Apply.
Set the Network Settings
Step 3 – The last step is to set the network settings on your Xbox 360 console.
- Press the Guide button available on your Xbox controller. Then go to Settings and select System Settings.
- Select the option Network Settings.
- Select Wired Network.
- Click on Configure Network.
- Over the Basic Settings tab, select IP Settings.
- First, select Manual, and then select IP Address.
- You have to enter 192.168.2.2 and then select Done.
- Then select Subnet Mask and enter 255.255.255.0, and then select Done.
- Then select Gateway and enter 192.168.2.1 followed by selecting Done.
- Over the Basic Settings tab, you have to select DNS Settings.
- Then select Manual.
- Click on the Primary DNS Server.
- Enter the numbers that you noted down in Step 2.
- You have to then get the DNS server address and then select Done.
- Click on Done again.
- Press B on your controller.
- Then select Test Xbox Live Connection.
Your console will now successfully share the Internet connection that your Mac is using. The Xbox 360 console can now use this shared connection to connect to Xbox Live.
Connect Xbox with the latest Driver
- On GitHub.com, download the latest Xbox 360 Controller driver for your Mac.
- Install the Xbox 360 Controller driver. You can do this by opening the .dmg file that downloads and then follow the installation steps. It consists of clicking “Continue” and “Agree” when prompted. You may need to restart your computer afterward.
- Once the computer restarts, click the Apple logo at the top-left of your screen and select “System Preferences”
- Select the “Xbox 360 Controller” icon.
- Now you have to connect the Xbox One controller to the Mac via a MicroUSB to USB cable, or via MicroUSB to USB-C.
- A pop-up picture of an Xbox 360 controller will appear on the screen along with a number of customization options. The dropdown menu at the top of the page will read, “Xbox One Wired Controller (Wired).”
Note: You may need an adapter to make the controller connect to your computer’s inputs.
You can then configure the remote’s buttons as you see fit. Then you can straightaway start playing your favorite games on a Mac using your Xbox controller.
If the Xbox 360 Controller menu fails to detect your controller, make sure that it’s plugged in and turned on. You can turn on the controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button.
If it still fails to be detected
- First, make sure that you’ve installed the latest version of the Xbox 360 controller.
- Then open System Preferences again.
- Click on “Security & Privacy.”
- At the bottom of the menu, you will find a notice saying that your Mac blocked a program signed by “Drew Mills.”
- Click on “Allow” next to this message.
- Then plug in your controller and go to the Xbox 360 Controller menu again.
That’s it. You can now play your favorite games on your Mac.
The Xbox One and PS4 have grown leaps and bounds since their initial launch back in 2013, adding a plethora of new features that enhance the overall gaming experience. One of the biggest additions has been the ability to play Xbox One games via a secondary source.
But it’s sadly not available on macOS.
So the question is, can you connect an Xbox One or Xbox 360 game into your Mac and start playing with the Xbox One controller?
Sadly, the answer is no. That surely would be quite an addition to macOS. Instead, as many passionate gamers already know, both Microsoft and Sony offer streaming services on their platforms. It allows you to play games via a secondary source; in this case, via your Mac.
Recently Released OneCast
A third-party company has recently released OneCast. It is an Xbox One-focused application for Mac that allows you to stream Xbox One gameplay from the console to your Mac display. It allows you the same freedom that your PS4 friends experience.
OneCast has proved to be a great client for Mac-based Xbox One gamers. It offers a wide range of benefits including Bluetooth and USB connectivity for Xbox One controllers along with 1080p streaming and the ability to remotely connect to more than one console.
However, the catch is that it isn’t free. If you want to learn how to set up OneCast on your Mac, then you are in the right place!
How to Set up OneCast on Mac?
- Obviously, the first step is to go to the OneCast website and download the app. You can also get a free trial for two weeks. You will have to pay monthly charges when the free trial expires.
- The next step would be to open the DMG file that you’ve just downloaded and drag the OneCast app right into your Applications folder.
- You have to then open the OneCast app on your Mac. But first, make sure that both your Mac and Xbox One are connected to the same network. Also, check that Game Streaming has enabled on your Xbox One (Settings > Preferences > Xbox App Connectivity).
- You need to then sign in to the Gamertag you want to use for game streaming. Select “Register Xbox One” in OneCast to search for the console on your network.
- Lastly, sign in to the Microsoft account that corresponds to the Xbox Live Gamertag you will be using for gaming.
You just have to wait for a few seconds for the console to register, and that’s it! You’re can now stream the latest Xbox One games to your Mac.