If you change your handset frequently, it might be difficult for you to find out old chat history of Whatsapp. That is why you may opt for taking backups and restoring your messages often. You may have noticed that soon after inserting the SIM card on your new device, you had to go for a backup and restoring process. Your messages, files, videos and images are restored in the cloud storage.
Now a day, people are more inclined to use Whatsapp than SMS. There is no denial of the fact that it is the most versatile mode of communication. You can send text messages; go for voice calls, video calling, sharing files and more. You can send up to 100 MB files in Whatsapp. Therefore, you need these messages as a backup. If you deal with a very difficult situation about restoring Whatsapp messages, you need not worry at all. You can easily restore your messages on Google Drive if you have ideas about certain tricks. Every night at 2 am, a local back up is taken on Whatsapp. Apart from that, there are also certain ways to take back up in your Google Drive.
- 1 Effective ways to take back up of the WhatsApp Messages
Effective ways to take back up of the WhatsApp Messages
Standard ways to retrieve WhatsApp Messages
If you want to restore the messages, using the easiest way is a wise decision. You can simply delete WhatsApp and again reinstall the application. As all WhatsApp chats are safety stored in back up, you can get it back easily. After specifying your verification number, you will get an option to restore the messages. You can restore the messages from Google Drive or import a local copy. Here are steps given for restoring the messages:
Restore WhatsApp Messages from Google Drive Copy:
- Reinstall Whatsapp on your phone and register your number
- Make sure you add the number you used before so that you can restore messages
- Select the option ‘restore chat history’ Window and click on the restore button.
Your previous messages and files will be restored within a few minutes. This is the simplest way to get your chat history. Try out once!
To back up your WhatsApp Messages to Google Drive:
- Open Whatsapp
- Tap on three dots (You will get it at the right corner of your app)
- Go to settings, select chats and click on ‘back up’
- You can tap on back up to create an immediate restoration. Or else, you can also create back up to Google Drive to set a frequency.
- If you do not have Google account for back up tap ‘add account’ beforehand
- You can also tap on ‘manually backup to Google Drive’
Your messages will be saved on a cloud server where there is no risk of getting deleted or corrupted. Your messages will be encrypted safely.
How to restore from a local file:
Besides restoring data to Google Drive, there is another simple way that you can opt for.
- Go to File Manager on your phone
- Open your card, click on WhatsApp then again click on database folder. You should know that all chat backups are stored there. If you find the folder empty, you can check main storage.
- You can select the file you want to restore from the list provided in the database.
- Rename the file by keeping the crypt extension number intact (For e.g. crypt9 crypt10, crypt11 etc.)
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp
- Click on when promoted
Apart from Google Drive, you can also restore WhatsApp messages using microSD Card
How to create WhatsApp back up using a micro SD card?
Insert a micro SD card in your old phone
- Go to File Manager
- You can locate the WhatsApp folder in the root
- Copy the folder and transfer it in the SD card
- Eject the micro SD card safely and then insert it in your new phone
- Download and install WhatsApp on your new phone
- Replace the existing WhatsApp folder of the new phone with the one saved in the SD card.
- In the file manager, navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases
- Rename the folder and don’t change the crypt extension in this case as well.
- Uninstall WhatsApp and install again. You will get your back up folder created inside the WhatsApp database folder.
These are simple ways to restore your WhatsApp messages. Try out these steps and store your valuable messages and files without delay. You save this backup folder and other encrypted files in various cloud servers.