Portrait Mode on iPhone 7: Most users prefer iPhone 7 Plus because of its dual-camera system. It enables you to capture stunning pictures with Depth-of-Field (DoF) and create a blurred bokeh effect in the background as same as that made by a DSLR camera.
DoF is basically the distance from your lens to keep focus and sharp to capture the image and the rest of the photo looks blur. This article guides you on how to get portrait mode on iPhone 7 and older iPhones amp. Here is the method to use portrait mode on iPhone 7 and older iPhones:
- 1 Utilize Portrait Mode on iPhone 7 and older iPhones
- 1.1 Edit Your Photograph
- 1.2 Include Blur Effect to your Existing Photos
- 1.3 Utilize Advance Settings
- 1.4 Here are the Methods to Fix Issues on iPhone 7 & older iPhones
- 1.4.1 1. Leave the Camera App and Restart Your iPhone
- 1.4.2 2. Force Close Apps
- 1.4.3 3. Check Out the Lens
- 1.4.4 4. Keep the Camera Lens Clean
- 1.4.5 5. Remove any Metallic Casing or Magnetic Lens
- 1.4.6 6. Adjust Focus
- 1.4.7 7. Test the LED Flash
- 1.4.8 8. Check and Ensure the Camera App is not Blocked
- 1.4.9 9. Update iOS to the Latest Version
- 1.5 10. Use Other Camera Third-Party Apps
Utilize Portrait Mode on iPhone 7 and older iPhones
FabFocus is an excellent app that you can use to get Portrait Mode on iPhone 7 and in the older version of the iPhone. This app enables you to include bokeh and blur effects at the time of taking a picture.
You need to download this app from the App Store at the cost of $3.99. Follow the below-given steps:
- When you downloaded the FabFocus app, you need to open it and enable it to access your Camera and Photos.
- Then take a good picture as usual by clicking on the shutter button at the bottom center.
- If you want to take a selfie, you need to click on the front-camera icon at the top left corner and then click on the shutter button.
- Then click on the Start button at the bottom center to get the blur effect in the background.
- If you capture a photo of any subject and there more than one face in the photo, this app tells you that it does not find any face and you can manually add a blur effect.
Read More: Apple Smart Battery Case Guide
Edit Your Photograph
Follow the below-given steps:
- When you capture the photograph, you need to click on the Edit button at the bottom of the device.
- Then you are required to choose the brush tool to edit a particular area that you need to edit. Then drag the brush over the area of face or object.
- You can use Paint which is another great edit option available here.
- You can paint the required area that you want to highlight.
- You need to click on the Paint button at the bottom and choose the area by dragging the brush over it.
- If you need to remove any part at the time of editing, you need to highlight that area by using the button.
- Then you can delete it by using the erase button at the bottom. Then click on a tick mark.
- You need to click on the button at the left corner which is upward looking arrow in shape to use more editing options.
- You can also change the blur effect by selecting the heart shape, circle, the triangle which can give a bokeh effect.
- If you want to alter the intensity of the blur effect, you need to choose the option given at the bottom of the editing screen.
- If you want to return to the normal editing screen, you need to click on the downward arrow.
- When you finish all your editing, you need to click on the tick mark to save the changes.
- You can also share this photo on Facebook or with your friends by clicking the share sheet given at the bottom right corner. Then choose the particular medium in the share sheet.
Include Blur Effect to your Existing Photos
Follow the below-given steps:
- You need to open the FabFocus app.
- Then click on the album button at the bottom and select the photo in which you want to add a blur effect.
Utilize Advance Settings
Follow the below-given steps:
- You need to open the FabFocus app and then click on the X at the right corner.
- Then click on the setting button given at the top right corner.
- Then you can choose the bokeh shape and then adjust the intensity for the blur effect.
- You need to click on the advanced button to access more options.
- Then you can have full control over various options such as turn on play sound, auto-save shared photos to the camera roll, reduce blur intensity for small faces and many more.
Acquire Portrait Lighting on Your iPhone
You can add professional lighting effects to your Portrait Mode photos with a great feature Portrait Lighting.
- When you have the object framed in Portrait Mode, you need to choose the type of lighting that you want from the Portrait Lighting dial at the bottom of the viewfinder.
- There are various lighting options available such as Natural, Studio, Contour, Stage Light, and black and white.
- Each lighting option has a different effect and you can view a live preview before saving the photos.
Change the Selected Portrait Lighting Effect
You can also change the Portrait Lighting on a photo later. But the photo must be in Portrait Mode and you cannot add Portrait Lighting to a standard photo. Follow the below-given steps to change the selected portrait lighting effect:
- You need to go to the Photos app and choose the photo that you want to edit. Then click on Edit.
- Then scroll through the dial and choose the lighting effect that you want.
- Then click Done to save your changes.
If you edit the selected Portrait Lighting effect, it overrides the original. You cannot save a copy of the photo with the new lighting effect. You need to always change it back to the original lighting or you can select another option completely. You can edit photos as much as you can as there is no limit on the number of edits.
Sometimes just like other device issues, camera errors and issues may also occur at any time due to various reasons including hardware damage.
Here are the Methods to Fix Issues on iPhone 7 & older iPhones
1. Leave the Camera App and Restart Your iPhone
If you have an error or issue while using the iPhone’s built-in camera application for the first time, you can quit the app and then restart your device. Restart or reboot on the device removes the minor software glitches that cause the issues. Follow the below-given steps to restart your iPhone:
- You need to press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button until you view the red slider on the screen of your iPhone.
- Then drag the slider towards the option to turn your iPhone off fully.
- Then you need to wait for 30 seconds. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you view the Apple logo. Then your device reboots.
If your iPhone does not respond, you can force it to restart by following the below-given steps:
- You need to press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you view the Apple logo.
- Then your iPhone starts to reboot.
Force restart your iPhone do not delete current data on your device. This method resolves an issue of a black screen or unresponsive buttons on the camera app.
2. Force Close Apps
There are some apps that are crashed or corrupted but still runs in the background. This causes other apps including the stock camera app to become unresponsive or dysfunctional. If the camera app does not respond, you force the close app by following the below-given steps:
- You need to double-tap the Home key to see all recently used applications. These apps do not open but still in standby mode.
- Then find the app (camera app) to close it.
- You need to swipe up on the app’s preview to close the application.
- Then reboot your device and then you need to again restart or open the camera app.
3. Check Out the Lens
When you open the Camera app and prompts with a black screen or closed lens, you need to ensure that the camera lens is clean and clear.
- If you use a case, you can remove it and then use the camera app.
- You can use both cameras by clicking the Camera Swap icon to switch between the front and back cameras.
- Then you need to check out if the black screen only happens on one camera or both.
- If it only occurs to one of the cameras, then may the other camera damages and dysfunctional. You can contact your Apple Support or device carrier.
4. Keep the Camera Lens Clean
- Sometimes dirt makes your photos blurred, out of focus or has dark spots on them.
- It is important that the camera lens is clean.
- It is necessary that you should clean the lens gently with a microfiber cloth to remove dirt inside the lens.
5. Remove any Metallic Casing or Magnetic Lens
- If the iPhone’s optical image stabilization obstructs a metallic case or magnetic lens, you can have blurred or dark spots on the photos that you captured with the phone’s stock camera.
- You can capture a photo without a metallic case or magnetic lens on your device and then compare the quality of both the photos.
6. Adjust Focus
You need to adjust the focus when you start recording a video or capturing a photo.
- You can adjust the focus by clicking that object or person on the preview screen while capturing photos.
- Then you need to stay steady when you adjust the focus, especially in photo mode.
- The camera automatically refocuses to the center if you move too far in any direction.
7. Test the LED Flash
You need to test the LED flash with the Control Center if the camera flash is not working.
- You need to disable the flashlight and then enable it. Then you can also contact Apple Support if the LED flash does not work as a flashlight.
- If the flash turns off every time or not working at all, you need to check your flash settings by clicking the Flash icon placed on the upper left of the screen.
- Then you can view more settings and then choose a different setting.
- Sometimes, a message prompts that the flash disabled when you use the camera in capturing extended video with the flash on or use the iPhone in a very warm atmosphere. In this case, you need to cool down your device and then that message disappears.
8. Check and Ensure the Camera App is not Blocked
- If the camera app does not display on the Home screen of your iPhone, you can find the app or check your iPhone Settings to ensure that the app is not blocked.
- You need to open the Settings and then click on the General tab.
- Then click on Restrictions and then go to the Allow section and ensure that the Camera is ON.
9. Update iOS to the Latest Version
Sometimes bug and software issues cause the problem and you do not use the camera app on your iPhone. It is necessary that you should check for any software update available on your device. You can wireless or manually update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
You need a stable Wi-Fi network connection if you want to update your iPhone wirelessly. If you do not view the update on your device, you can update iOS manually through iTunes.
It is necessary that you should keep a backup of all your data before you update your iPhone to the latest version. Follow the below-given steps to check if any update is available:
- You need to open the Settings app and then click on General and then click on Software Update.
- If there is any update available, you need to click on Software Update to proceed further.
- Then you need to follow the on-screen instructions to update your iPhone.
10. Use Other Camera Third-Party Apps
If you still face the issue of the camera app not working properly, you may use other camera apps than the stock camera on your iPhone. There are various third-party camera apps that you can download from the App Store if the stock app does not work or respond.
You can easily get portrait mode on iPhone 7 and older iPhones amp with the above-mentioned methods. But if you are not able to use your camera app or do not respond on your iPhone 7 and older iPhones, you can try the above-mentioned methods to fix this issue.
You can also try third-party apps if your camera app becomes unresponsive. If you do not want to use third-party apps, you can contact your device carrier or Apple Support to ask for further assistance or other options. There may be a possibility of hardware damage on the iPhone 7 or older iPhone.