Wipe MacBook pro: Now, it is time to decide whether you want to keep or replace your Macbook pro. If you are planning to buy a new MacBook and thinking to sell your old then before you box up old Mac, you will need to migrate its data to your new Mac and wipe it clean.
The foremost thing is to wipe MacBook pro and clean all your personal data before hitting the streets to sell. You do not want to accidentally sell your old MacBook pro to a stranger with your iCloud logged in.
How to Wipe Macbook Pro?
In the below steps, you will learn how to remove all traces of your data and return your old Mac to its factory default state (like you bought it originally).
Sign out of your accounts
The software you have on your Mac is licensed to you that mean it does not get transferred to the new owner of your computer. To avoid complications with the new owner at the time of installing and downloading the licensed software by you, make sure you sign out of everything.
You need to sign out of all your accounts, especially your iCloud, iMessage, and iTunes because it limits you to use the app on only 5 computers.
How to sign out from iTunes?
- Open iTunes.
- Go to Account> Authorizations> Deauthorize (this computer).
- Here, you need to enter your Apple ID and password.
- Once you entered the correct Apple ID and password, hit the “Deauthorize” button.
Also Check: Forgot Your Apple ID or Password
How to sign out from iCloud?
- Click on the Apple icon located at the upper left corner of your Mac’s screen.
- From the drop-down menu click on “System Preference”.
- Choose the option “iCloud”.
- For “Find My Mac” unselect the box.
- Enter your system password.
- Click on “Sign out”. (Here, you will be asked if you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data on your Mac or not)
- Click on “Remove data from this Mac”.
How to sign out from iMessage?
- Open Messages on your Mac.
- In the Menu bar click on the “Messages”.
- From the drop-down menu, Tap on “preferences”.
- Select your “iMessage account”.
- Click on the “Sign Out” button.
If you are giving your old Macbook Pro to your kids or someone else in your house, then the best idea is to unpair any Bluetooth device so that your mouse or keyboard does not interfere with your old Mac.
- Go to “System Preferences”.
- Click on “Bluetooth”.
- Hover the mouse on the device you want to unpair.
- Click the “X button” to the right of its name.
- Click on “Remove”.
Back up your Mac
If you are having a new Mac on hand, then you can easily transfer all of your personal data from your old Mac or use Time Machine app on Mac for Backup. If you think you will not need your old Mac then before getting your new Mac, just make sure to back up your all data.
Because when you reset Mac, all the information you have on your hard drive is wiped off. That’s why you need to create a backup to save your important files and personal data.
To erase all your data, you need to put your Macbook into recovery mode and reinstall MacOS. To enter recovery mode, you need to restart your Mac and immediately press and hold Command-R. Release the keys, when the Apple logo displays on the screen.
After that, you will see the MacOS utilities window. Select Disk Utility then click “Continue” and select your startup disk (unless you renamed it), Macintosh HD or something similar is it’s labeled. Now, click the “Erase” button located at the top of the Disk Utility window and fill the given below three fields.
- Name: Select a name. Why not choose “Macintosh HD” as it is tried and true?
- Format: Choose APFS or Mac OS Extended. For best solid-state drives, the newer APFS is the best choice and Mac OS extended is best for older, mechanical hard drives.
- Scheme: Select “GUID partition map”.
Now, click on the “Erase” button after Disk Utility does its thing. In the last quit “Disk Utility”.
Now, again return to the macOS utility window. From there, choose to reinstall MacOS and follow the instructions to install the operating system. Once the MacOS has been reinstalled, then you will be welcomed by the Setup Assistant.
At this instant, it is ready for a fresh start with its new owner!
With the help of the above-mentioned efficient procedures, you can wipe a MacBook pro with ease.